In anticipation of the Helfaer Tennis Stadium and Leisure Center (Leisure Center) being closed at the end of 2022 to accommodate renovations and construction of the reimagined and comprehensive wellness and leisure facility, here is an overview of all temporary spaces on campus for fitness, recreation and club sports that will be available from 2023.
The recreation center is expected to close by the end of the calendar year, subject to funding and board approval for the new facility.
Download or print this handy map, which outlines the locations of workout equipment and amenities at the following locations (additional details below). Students can access these locations with their MUID; teachers and staff members of a leisure center or leisure complex:
- Expansion of Rec Plex facilities at “Rec Plex Plus at Straz Tower”
- A fitness center at O’Donnell Hall
- The old gymnasium
- Outdoor space at Norris Park
- Outdoor fitness stations located throughout campus
- valley fields
- Cristo Rey Jesuit High School (for certain club sports only)
Want to get an idea of how your fitness needs will be met in some of these new locations? Check out these floor plans expanded Rec Plex Plus space and fitness center at O’Donnell Hall.
Your favorite recreation and fitness destination will be the Rec Plex Plus at Straz Hall, combining all of the existing space, equipment, and amenities offered at the Rec Plex with a newly constructed space for additional cardio and strength-training equipment. Haven’t been to the Plex in a while? See all it has to offer in this photo gallery!
An updated webpage with facility hours of operation, programming information, a full list of equipment and amenities, and photos will be available on the Recreational Sports website at the end of the semester, prior to transition. to temporary recreation, fitness and club sports spaces. Watch Marquette today for updates.
We look forward to opening a comprehensive, redesigned Wellness and Recreation Center in 2024 that will bring together campus fitness and recreation facilities with Marquette University’s Counseling Center and Medical Clinic – services centered on students currently dispersed across campus.
Temporary fitness and recreation locations, equipment, amenities and programming:
- 915 W. Wisconsin Ave.
- All material currently available and amenities, including the steam room, sauna, and whirlpool, at the Rec Plex will remain available throughout the construction and renovation project.
- Straz Tower
- 915 W. Wisconsin Ave.
- The space formerly occupied by the finance and human resources offices is being renovated to provide additional recreation and fitness space with cardio and weight training equipment.
- The recreation center’s full-time staff will also move into new offices in this space.
- O’Donnell Hall
- 725 N. 18th St. (enter from West 19th St.)
- The lobby and lower level of O’Donnell Hall will be known as Fitness Center West.
- This completely renovated space will include cardio-training and weight-training equipment as well as a spin room.
- Full-time recreation staff will have office space in this area.
- former gymnasium
- 1532 W. Clybourn Street
- The former gymnasium will primarily be used for open play, intramural and club basketball.
- 1532 W. Wells Street
- The gymnasium space in the annex will be used for group exercise classes, intramural classes and open games.
Toilets are available at all pitches; showers and lockers are only at the Rec Plex Plus location.
A complete campus map is available online.
In addition, the university has arranged to use the nearby gymnasium Cristo Rey Jesuit High School (1818 W. National Ave.) for club sports practices, especially men’s and women’s basketball and club volleyball. The Valley Fields Dome (1818 W. Canal St.) will also be available to meet the needs of certain club sports.
#Gym #Guide #Tentative #Fitness #Recreation #Club #Sports #Spaces #Marquette #Marquette #Today